When I started at Lowe and Partners South Africa (then known as Lowe Bull) all I saw was stars in my eyes. I was like a child in a Sweets From Heaven shop, I couldn’t wait to submerge myself in all that this amazing advertising agency had to offer.
So I designed, and drew and conceptualized and mounted (board obviously) and basically became a design machine, with the guidance and help of my crazy and highly creative colleagues. Working in this agency has been one of the best experiences in my life, it’s opened me to so much, expanded me in ways I didn’t realize and has taught me the most important lessons in working in this industry.
The important one’s being:
- Take pride in your work, treat it like you would a small child. Be pedantic, ask questions and scrutinize. Your work is a refection of yourself as an artist and designer. You creative director WILL shit all over you if you don’t. Just do what you were taught in design school ok? Like don’t be lazy
- Do your research, keep up with design trends. Go on Pinterest. By staying in the loop you know what’s grabbing people’s attention, then you implement that in your own work BUT always make it better. Obviously
- Not all Account Managers are assholes. Yes they have their days but I say take it with a pinch of salt. In the end they do try to make our lives easier. Their methods might not always be the best but their intentions are always good.
- Be proactive. Because your creative directors will love you for it and it shows initiative. The more you can show the better. It’s always good to be proactive in every aspect of your life actually.
- Take advice from people that are smarter than you. They are in their respective positions for a reason.
And the most important lesson:
Have fun. Working in an advertising agency can be an amazing experience if you let it. The more fun you have the more positive you become, the more positive you become, the more people will want to work with you. I know people say that agencies can be intimating and hard work but its only as hard as you make it. As long as you love what you do, it will show…and when others see that you love what you doing it will they’ll always have respect for you as an employee, colleague and friend.
I admire this agency and everything that they stand for. I’m so proud to have been a part of a team that’s created amazing work with real substance.
Thank you Kirk Gainsford and Lowe and Partners for everything you have taught and done for me over these last 3 years. Truly a bunch of passionate people all dedicated to producing great work and looking out for one another.
I’ve had the time of my life here and I wish them nothing but success for their amazing future.
Please make sure you check out their blog regularly for updates on work and agency life: http://aloweprofile.co.za/